To apply to the Ph.D. program, please fill out an online application via the Graduate School website. The following are needed for consideration to the Ph.D. program in Philosophy. You must submit all materials by uploading them into your online application.
• Completed Graduate School online application.
• Three letters of recommendation. Make sure that you register your recommenders when you fill out the online application, indicating clearly on the registration form the academic position of the recommender or, if the recommender is not an academic, indicating the individual's current position and relation to you or your work. The system will automatically send recommenders a message with instructions for uploading their recommendation letters.
• Personal Statement. Please use this statement to help us understand how you have come to be interested in philosophy, what special challenges you might have faced, what relevant experiences you might have had, and what aspirations you have for the future. In doing so, explain briefly the nature of your study in philosophy or related fields thus far, your current primary areas of interest (if known), what studies you would like to pursue in graduate school, and whether there are any Kentucky faculty with whom you would especially like to work. Upload at the Personal Statement page.
• A completed Department of Philosophy Data Sheet. Upload at the Current Resume page. To access document please see link for additional required uploads on that page.
• A sample of philosophical writing (normally 15-25 pages in length). Upload at the Writing Sample page.
• One copy of official or unofficial transcript from undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. Upload the scanned copy at the College Information page.
• Scores on the aptitude portions of the Graduate Record Exam.
The application deadline is January 1 for admission the following fall.